even though Asa has never taken to baby cereal (we did babyled weaning and bypassed mush altogether), i do continue to use baby cereal as an ingredient when i bake for him because of the iron fortification. when Asa was one, his lead levels tested borderline high, and ever since then i have been vigilant about him eating well and getting enough iron to discourage lead absorption. (the good news is that he tested negative for lead at 15 months, so that is all behind us)
|Baby Cereal Banana & Fruit Muffins|
Serves: 24 mini muffins
i usually have fruit that i am needing to use up, and in this photo, it’s a medley of apples, blueberries and raspberries. you can use whatever you like! also, i am still using fruit to sweeten foods for Asa, but you can certainly use sugar if you prefer.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup baby cereal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup applesauce (or sugar)
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup fruit (cut up as needed)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, cereal, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar into the melted butter. Stir in the banana, vanilla, and egg.
- Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in delicate berries, if using.
- Divide evenly among 12 greased or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until golden.